Whether you are just moving into a brand new neighborhood, or you’ve been living in the same house for 20 years, it’s a good idea to get acquainted with your neighbors. And if you’re the latter, it’s not too late. Getting to know your neighbors isn’t just for those moving into a new subdivision or first-time homeowners. You can become familiar with those living around you at any stage of home-ownership.
Why Get to Know Your Neighbors?
Building relationships with your neighbors is important. It’s not that you need to become best friends, although you may. But, we’re talking about the importance of building a friendly relationship between those living near each other.
Good neighbors are there in your time of need. Your home is your safe place, your dwelling pace. It’s where you feel comfortable and live life. Your home is filled with your precious assets, including the most precious…your family. If something unfortunate were to happen to you, your family, or your home, you would be thankful for those neighbor relationships.
Good neighbors can increase your quality of life. If you get to know your neighbors, and you feel good about who you’re surrounded by, you’ll live happier and more content. It’s good to feel comfortable where you live and to have those you can depend on nearby.
Good neighbors can help you out. When you go on vacation and need someone to pick up your mail, you can ask your neighbor. If your child gets locked out of the house before you get home from work, you can call your neighbor. Remember to be a good neighbor yourself.
5 Ways to Get to Know Your Neighbors
- Homemade Cookies – This is a classic gesture, bringing cookies to the new neighbors. However, you can put a spin on this. You can make a couple batches of cookies for your block. Put 3 in a bag with a ribbon and drop one off at each door with a friendly note. It will be sure to make their day!
- Host a Block Party – What a fun way to get the whole neighborhood together! Create a committee of 5-6 homeowners to help you plan out the details (music, food, games, prizes, etc…). A block party is a great time for neighbors to get to know each other and connect.
- Get Festive with the Holidays – Neighborhoods can be so fun during the holidays. Shooting off fireworks during the 4th of July, costume parties on Halloween, white elephant gift exchanges during Christmastime, etc. There are many creative ways to get to know your neighbors during the holidays.
- Neighborhood Newsletter – If your neighborhood has a newsletter, get involved! Write an article, submit photos of what your family has going on, attend parties that your neighbors announced in the newsletter. If your neighborhood doesn’t have something like this, think about starting one!
- Go Outside – There’s just something about being outside with good company and good weather. Just walk outside on an average Saturday. You can smell your neighbors grilling, join in on the baseball game happening in the yard across the street, wave to your neighbor walking his dog, catch up with your elderly neighbor getting the mail. It’s such a great way to stay connected with your neighborhood.
Whether your neighborhood is large or small, I challenge you to spend some time getting acquainted with your neighbors. You won’t regret it.