The first day of summer is officially one week away! With school out and summer settling in, our open schedules are becoming very apparent. What to do with all of this free time?
Depending on your life stage, you may not have loads of free time in the summers. However, that doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate summer by enjoying the great weather and getting involved in some fun community events.
Check out what’s going on around town this season!
- Dixie Landin’ 2016 Summer Concerts – Each summer Baton Rouge’s Dixie Landin’ amusement park fills its calendar with concerts by a variety of artists. This summer, you can see the Plain White T’s, R5, Rachel Platten and more. Pick up your tickets and enjoy a great show!
- Red Stick Farmer’s Market – Start your Saturday mornings off right with a trip to the Red Stick Farmer’s Market. It features more than 50 vendors of family farmers and local artisans. Here you’ll find farm fresh eggs, dairy products, seasonal plants, fruits and vegetables, fresh-baked goods and more! The first Saturday of every month features the Baton Rouge Arts Market, which includes jewelry, metal sculptures, wood carvings, stationery, photography, paintings, hand-woven baskets, etc.
- Repticon Baton Rouge Reptile & Exotic Animal Show – This is where you wanna be the weekend of June 25 and 26. Hosted in the Lamar Dixon Expo Center, this reptile event will feature vendors offering reptile pets and supplies, live animal seminars and free raffles! Mark your calendars for an exciting, educational day for the whole family.
- Kenilworth Independence Day Parade – On Sunday, June 3, 2016, the Kenilworth neighborhood will host its 44th Annual Independence Day Parade. Dress in your stars & stripes and join thousands of spectators to celebrate the 4th of July. The parade runs along Kenilworth Parkway, beginning and ending at Kenilworth Science and Technology School.
- LSU Museum of Art Annual July 4th Celebration – Your 4th of July plans are covered with the LSU Museum of Art! Join the museum for an all-inclusive night of fun including hotdogs and jambalaya from Capital City Grill, speciality drinks and music. And watch fireworks on the Mississippi River from the 6th floor Pennington rooftop terrace!
- Baton Rouge Restaurant Week – Baton Rouge’s annual Restaurant Week is July 11 through 16. Some of the best restaurants around town will be participating by offering incredible dishes at irresistible price points. These unique, three-course menus will range from $15-$35 per person. By participating, you’re not only supporting the local restaurant industry, but the Greater Baton Rouge Food Bank as well. The Food Bank will be receiving a donation on behalf of all the participating restaurants and DIG Magazine. Don’t forget to make reservations to ensure your spot!
- Slide into Summer – Attention, moms! The Red Stick Moms Blog, along with some other local businesses, is hosting a Slide Into Summer Playdate. On Wednesday, June 22 from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., head on over to Lil Bambinos Playtorium with your kiddos! There will be a play area, a coloring activity, sweet treats and lunch provided by Newk’s Eatery!
I hope this blog gave you some great summer fun suggestions. It’s so important to love where you live and get involved in your local community. Let us know if you try any of these out!